31 October 2009

I just don't get it

But then, I'm old.

Got my 16 year old a cell phone a while back. Unlimited calls within network, and a generous allotment for prime-time out of network calls. No good; it didn't include unlimited texting.

"But you can call," says I.

"Daaaaaaaad," says she, clearly frustrated by my ignorance of all matters significant.

Despite exhortations to be prudent, if not miserly, texting still occurred, month after month. Recriminations.

Back to the provider; signed up for unlimited texting within network, and what looked to me to be a generous ration of texting outside of network. Kid agrees to bear the cost for any over that amount. First month's bill with the texting service comes today. 178 messages out of network over and above that generous allotment.

"Pay up," says I.

"Daaaaaaaad,: says she, with that exasperated, dismissive voice only teens can master.

I just don't get it. But then, I'm old. And getting older.

Note: this was originally posted on ketches, yaks & hawks 2 July 2008

No comments: